Labor Dabor Day Weekend

So this Labor Day weekend, I actually labored. First of all, on Sunday I moved into my new place which took a lot of work. And I am still slowly unpacking. Prior to that, though, Janine and I decided to head up to Rocky Mountain National Park and do some hiking.
It was a decently nice day in the mountains, but stormy clouds rolled in towards the end of our hike. I guess the locals call this "monsoon season." Where's the ocean, I wonder? We did about an 8 miler from the lot towards and then around Bierstadt Lake and then all the way over to Bear Lake. The trail we chose wound up being more challenging than we had expected and about half the time was spent climbing uphill. Very exhausting. The pics below should illustrate the verticality of the trek.


Phew! I am a little tired just thinking about it. There were also a couple interesting photos to be had on the trail including moss growing on a rock in the form of a panda face and the most colorful fungi I have seen in a long time! I love how nature uses bright colors as a warning system. Not even close to being tempted by that mushroom.

We finally made it to Bear Lake just as the sky started spitting a little and then took the shuttle back to the car and headed back down to Denver. It was really pouring on the way back so it was a good thing we decided against trekking back. Though, the thought of hurtling downhill after using so much effort on the way up was a little tempting. I'm just imagining the(re-)twisted ankle I'd inevitably wind up with! All in all, a nice way to get out of the city. Oh yeah, and on the way back I convinced Janine to stop at Savory Spice for some curry powder etc. Mmmmm.

Let me make a suggestion, though: don't hike so much the day before you move an entire house's worth of stuff....your calves will thank you later as will your lower back.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally thought that mushroom was a disc you found buried...then I looked closer.