Becoming Traffic

Today I probably did the most riding (mileage-wise) since I've been here in Denver - Both campuses, baby! My bike computer tells me that I've logged well over 100 miles in the last 2 weeks as well. Sweet! I was going to stop at home in between morning and afternoon classes, but decided to bite the bullet and push through it. So it was 15.5 miles total which isn't a bad ride, especially back in Chicago. Now that I've found some nice routes to take, though, it's definitely way more fun here simply due to the lower traffic volume and the considerateness of the drivers. And the tree-lined streets. But the elevation changes are definitely making things more challenging. I am afeared that my calves are just going to become ridiculous since I like my gear ratios to give me a higher resistance when I'm riding. Oh well - it can only make me stronger!
Also noticed today that I ride much harder/faster when I a. am trying to beat a car off the line; b. am generally riding in traffic; c. spot another biker on the road or d. spy a flashing red "don't walk" hand at the upcoming intersection. What does that say about either my chase instinct or my competitiveness, I wonder? Those were the thoughts I had while urging my tired calves up the incline to Fitzsimmons.
At any rate, I gmap pedometered my route for anyone interested...scroll to the right on the elevation chart - that hill really did feel that huge today since I was also riding straight into a pretty intense headwind. It only reinforces my awe of professional cyclists because this ride would be cakewalk for them. Amazing. On the plus side, I flew home after the p.m. class!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amazing how tired you are until you see that don't walk sign flashing.

I feel that I have to beat all cars - how else can I maintain my moral superiority?

One thing that would be good about having more elevation change than the Roosevlet bridge is that I could stop dreaming about getting a single-speed.
Cathy said…
Seriously. I was keeping pace with a truck off the line today and I almost stuck my tongue out at the driver. Then I decided that's just not nice.
Dude, there are people out here with single speeds! :O It would totally be fun to have one in Chicago. I am not tempted at all out here. I am tempted to save up some of my "living expense" money and invest in a cyclo-cross bike, a mountain bike or just a kick-ass all around commuter bike. Still thinking about the beautiful bamboo bike as well.
"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"....