Week 48: Gingerbread tiles and a bit more chess


Gingerbread tiles
Coming off the the marathon pie week, it was time to get into the spirit of holiday cookies. I was intrigued with the gingerbread tile cookies from Sweet and decided this was a good time to dust off the cookie stamps and get a little artsy. I doubled the recipe in anticipation of success - the dough was quite good with the freshly ground black pepper. I struggled a little with getting the appropriate depth with the stamp and even more with the gilding of the cookies. You definitely have to dab while the cookies are quite warm. Since I made the glaze a bit too soon, it cooled a bit and I added extra water to keep it at the right consistency. I'm pretty sure why there was quite a bit of crystallization on the later batches as the cookies aged. But overall, the cookies looked pretty good and, more importantly, were very tasty. They held up pretty well, too, staying nice and soft for over a week.
Cranberry maple chess pie

I also made another cranberry chess pie given the popularity of the first one. In an effort to temper the sweetness and introduce another layer of flavor, I subbed a bit of maple sugar into the filling. I think this tweak definitely worked out. The bottom of the crust was just a bit anemic this time - may have needed to start with a slightly higher temp in the oven to start.




Comments