Week 46: The pie before the storm

Apple, rose, and raspberry pie
What do you do the week before Thanksgiving? You figure out your plans, of course. In my world, this includes compiling menus, shopping lists, and a detailed timeline of oven and stove use. I also found out that my good friends, the ones who were slated to visit over Easter before a stomach bug derailed the trip, were going to be joining us! This meant an extra-special Flip the Bird. 

With all of this planning and upcoming baking, I didn't do too much this week. But I did get some apples from the co-op a week or so ago with aspirations of an apple pie made with some SweetTangos. So I decided to throw together an apple, rose, and black raspberry pie from the Hoosier Mama cookbook. Made it extra interesting by starting the pie just before meeting some friends for dinner, and then baking the pie after we all came back to the house. Freshly-made hot apple pie at 10 pm on a Saturday night after a beer and some tacos. That's how you pre-party for Thanksgiving. 

As a side-note, the SweetTangos are really good pie apples and hold their shape pretty well, as you can see below. I might dial back just a a smudge on the rose, but it wasn't overly floral. 


Hot apple pie

Inquiring minds are interested in the status of the pie.

Comments