Week 24: Still more rhubarb

Rhubarb apple crumble pie

Week 24 gave me the chance to try another rhubarb pie. This time, I omitted the custard and went rhubarb apple crumble. This pie recipe had an interesting technique of baking the filling separately and then adding to a blind baked pie shell before finishing with the crumble and a last blast in the oven. This was a nice precaution against the dreaded soggy bottom, and I would blind bake the pastry a few minutes even longer next time. I also added one cardamom and cinnamon to the streusel which seemed to be a nice addition to the flavor profile. Lastly, I tried a rope crimp for the crust that looked mighty fine, if I do say so myself.

Homemade oreos, nom nom nom
Next up was homemade oreos. That's right folks. Oreos are at the top of my list of vices. And bonus points if they are in something like an Oreo McFlurry or cookies and cream ice cream. Thanks to the magic of Instagram, I got some inspiration for homemade oreos with my cookie stampers. I made half of the batch with the leftover coconut frosting from Week 23's cupcakes and the other half with an orange and vanilla buttercream filling. The dough itself was pretty soft and needed some trips into the fridge to firm up, however needed to be stamped while at room temperature. The cookies were a little large for a single serving, but were a great hit at work. Would make for a lovely ice cream sandwich, too. Maybe with some cookies and cream ice cream...ok, that might be too far.

Summer fruit genoise
Since I had some extra time leftover on the weekend and we had some gorgeous strawberries from the farmer's market laying around, I got the inspiration to throw together a strawberry/summer fruit genoise a la Paul Hollywood. The genoise is a tricky sponge that requires serious finesse due to the lack of leavening agents. It's tripped up more than a couple bakers on the GBBO. So, it seemed like a good idea to get a proper genoise under my belt. The sponge itself had a reasonably good rise, but probably could use still more gentle folding. It's so tricky to fold gently and also get rid of any lumps of flour! But overall, I think the cake was a success and worthy of a signature bake or even a technical. It's also my more preferred style of cake - light, airy, and not overly sweet. 

Now that is a slice of cake worth saving room for!


Comments