Week 22: So. Much. Rhubarb.

Rhubarb and pineapple mousse cake
Whoa whoa whoa! Here we are, time-hopping ahead another week. We're going to blame it on the garden again, specifically the giant Friend School Plant Sale at the Fairgrounds. That's ok, since the lovely garden was teeming with rhubarb, ripe for the picking. That means rhubarb-themed bakes!

A slice of tropical goodness
Started things off with a recipe that I'd saved a couple years ago for a pineapple mousse cake with a candied rhubarb wrapping. So visually appealing and, as it turns out, extremely tasty. The pineapple mousse filling was a tropical delight and a welcome reminder of summer! My varietal of rhubarb is not all red, and the stripes with green portions were less visually appealing than I would have liked. I wound up using quite a bite more of the rhubarb than I'd expected in order to put together a good looking cake. Even with the poaching, the rhubarb was still somewhat tough/stringy so slicing the larger cake was a bit difficult. I would probably make as mini-cakes next time. However, the variation in the striping after slicing into the larger cake was also really stunning. I also decided to research various rhubarb varietals in order to expand the rhubarb patch some more.

Rhubarb custard pie. And more rhubarb.
Later that week, it was pie time. What better use for pie plant that rhubarb pie? I opted for a custard pie with an all butter crust. The flavor was excellent, however the filling was a little runny. That might be because I used some frozen rhubarb instead of fresh. Or it may be because I am terrible at waiting before slicing into pie. Because who can resist a freshly baked pie?!







Comments