Week 3: Baethmanchen for the Beach


Baethmanchen ready for takeoff
Week three presented a little bit of a challenge as we were traveling to Santa Monica for a long weekend in order to play with the Beach Goys at Lei-Out (an ultimate frisbee beach tournament). That meant it was a short week and I wasn't quite sure how I would get in all of the bakes. I'd initially planned to take another stab at another batch of macarons after work on Wednesday, but I still had some significant reservations after my trials and tribulations last year and decided these conditions were basically setting me up for a spectacular failure.

Croissant from Huckleberry.
It's the real deal, y'all. 
However, realizing that there was still leftover almond paste/marzipan from my Battenberg adventures (noticing a trend), I thought I'd find a recipe that would use that up. This would also provide some sideline snacks at the tournament which is always welcome. Some internet searching led me to a German recipe for almond and rose water cookies called Baethmanchen. Given that we had some time before our flight on Friday, I whipped up a batch that morning, winging it a bit since I'd never actually tried one of these treats before. The recipes that I found called for a whopping amount of rose water and, remembering the stern rose water admonishments of Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, decreased to a more reasonable amount. I thought it was still a smidge too "rosy," but not disgustingly so. The teammates seemed to appreciate the snacks. Of course, it was cold, windy, and/or rainy in Santa Monica for the entire time we were there, and the Sunday games were basically a washout for us. Go figure. At least I was able to re-visit Huckleberry to gawk at all of the baked goods and we also took a side trip to Sidecar for some really tasty donuts. So more of a R&D/reconnaissance weekend.

Sidecar Doughnuts.
Welcome sights after a long, cold, and windy day on the beach.
(We may have gotten one of everything....)

Comments