Gyro Burritos and Japanese Curry

This morning, I got up after a long night of concert-going (more on that later) and met my classmate, Beau, over at Pete's Kitchen for some brunch/breakfast burrito investigation. He, his wife and some other friends and family regularly investigate brunches in MN and it was time to start looking at the Denver scene! It was a nice ride over, but I got trapped in City Park for a while getting lost and confused due to a special event that closed some streets. Oops.
Anyhow, the draw of Pete's to my brunching companion was the Breakfast Burrito Supreme. It already has all the usual suspects in it and then some: eggs, hash browns, ham, bacon, sausage, PLUS Gyro meat. And then it is smothered in green or red chili, garnished with a haystack of shredded cheddar, tomatoes & onions. That is one meatnormous beast of a breakfast burrito!! (I am sorry I forgot to bring my camera.)
I got the Hunter's breakfast, being unaware, however, that hunters ate ~5 lbs of hash brown potatoes with their eggs. It was a lot of potatoes; many were left on the plate, sadly. Overall, though, the place was fun and very busy and the food hot and tasty. They're 24 hr which is exciting and I really wanted to try homemade pie, but had to consider the bike ride home etc.
After breakfast, I rode down to the Cherry Creek location of the Colorado Fresh Markets to see what the main one is like. The one by me on Sundays is a smaller version of it. This place was pretty amazing - think Green City Market crossed with a Chicago summer street festival. There were a lot of food booths for breads, pastries, tamales, burritos etc on one end as well as a mix of both regular produce stands and organic farms. Also interspersed were booths for fish, buffalo, grass-fed meats and artisan cheese as well as ones with composting info and Colorado State University Gardening Experts. So I learned about potentially making an earthworm composter for my kitchen here as well as what to do about my strawberry plants. Because they are perennials, it's fine to let the runners take hold and just leave them outside for the winter, Rob. Some of the mother plants may die off, but the new plants should be fine until the Spring. Oh - everyone gives out samples here which is just so fantastic (if one is not weighted down with tubers in their tummy) and I tried some spicy chicken curry from the Japanese Curry stand that just about rivaled my mom's chicken curry. Too bad I was full.
So definitely a nice market to go to. I think I still like Green City better in part due to it's mission statement, but also because of the huge varieties of fruits and especially vegetables that the farms have there - much more heirloom varieties of things, the stand specializing in Asian vegetables, and the mushroom stand plus you cannot beat the bread from Red Hen and the pastries from Floriole. I like the diversity of this market and the fact that I got some of my gardening question answered by experts. There is almost too many prepped food stands here, though, which detracts from my main purpose - delicious fresh fruits and vegetables to take home and cook with - more beets, less burritos! I will visit again when I'm not stuffed and perhaps change my tune. I'm glad for the 15 miles or so ride today, though, what with all that carbo-loading in the morning.
I think I will make a peach pie this weekend or something so stay posted!

Comments

Liz said…
cathy, i think you are becoming a mind reader. i honestly said today, "i would like some peach pie," and was considering it as my first post-thailand bake.

i had mexican food for dinner today. how's that for some culture, mexican food in bangkok. it was acceptable, as basic mexican food it hard to get really wrong. but the sour cream...a little grainy.

and, i was remembering the golden nugget yesterday. i think its time to return to the US.
Cathy said…
liz, things are bad when you start reminiscing about the golden nugget. i do miss seeing drunken drag queens there at 2 am, however!
well, i haven't made the peach pie yet, but there are still peaches - got a little sidetracked.
when are you coming back stateside? before international talk like a pirate day?! or is that too soon?
Anonymous said…
Sounds like an exciting market. Thanks for the word on the strawberries. I have the plants in a window box planter, and I let the plants have a couple of runners that are just in air before I started to prune. There wasn't any room in box for anymore plant, but I wanted to add a little foliage.

I don't think that I am a hunter, but that breakfast sounded great. Though so did the burrito. That is a good way to get fueled up for a day of riding.

Is the pirate day the 19th or the 20th? I can never remember if we got married on or just after.
Cathy said…
Arrrr! Thar be the 19th o' September. Will ye be havin' a piratey anniversary, matey?