Rollin', rollin', rollin'....

So the drive through IL and IA, though late-going, was surprisingly scenic upon hindsight. That is because Day 2 of the drive was some of the most challenging and mind-numbing traveling I have ever done.
Rather than get too much into the minute by minute details, I thought I'd post some the more interesting pics from the Trek through the Maize and give some of the more interesting highlights....
First and foremost, the Superfly W00t Monkey was the co-pilot. He didn't scream very much, but he also didn't navigate very well. Mostly he just hung on and enjoyed the road trip. Look at that face....awww!
Since the departure from Chicago began at 5:30, there was a bit o' traffic on the Eisenhower which also slowed things down. And then there was the rain. I contemplated these as signs that I shouldn't move, but then that would have meant many many hours of truck packing for naught. Cutting through the rest of IL (the red part of the state), all I can say is that there was a lot of corn. I'd post a blurry picture of corn, but why ruin it for you'all?
On the way to Des Moines, there were some interesting sights in the night: the world's largest truck stop, some interesting McDonald's designs and strange fog that made driving confusing.

Finally stopped for the night just outside of Des Moines at around midnight. The Holiday Inn was somehow booked and when I asked the concierge what was going on, he looked at me as if I had 3 heads and said "Uh, the IA State Fair." I was too tired to be snippy and politely asked if there were any rooms to be had in the area. Thankfully, the Ramada next door had some. Since it was late and this was a road trip after all, what better thing to do than order some pizza and wings from the only restaurant open at midnight in those parts? The wait was long; the pizza atrocious. Wings were ok though. Here's the pizza below...why yes, that is a pound of cheese on top! Eeeew.
On Day 2, hit the road again around 10 am, but since it was raining, I didn't get a chance to stop and check out the State Fair. Entered into the Nebraska area not too much later since Des Moines is pretty close to the border. Much to my dismay, this was the beginning of the worst 8-9 hours W00t Monkey and I have ever spent in a car. Terri warned me, but I didn't actually understand how incredibly tedious and neverending the Cornhusker State can be. UGH! Highlight was getting lunch at a Cracker Barrel, something I've been wanting to do for ages.
Sooooooo much corn. And as an added bonus, the time zone changes about 2/3 way through and all of a sudden it was 3 pm again and, yep, still in Nebraska. With no cell phone signal and only about 6 radio stations coming in. Unfair. Since it was so excruciating, I wrote down some of the trivia highlights: the cookbook factory outlet (no room in the truck or else I would have stopped!) and the highway was made with 47000 recycled tires. Fascinating.
By around 5 pm, W00t Monkey was looking a little peaked. Not that I blame the guy:

But never fear, we persevered and made it into lovely Colorado. It was an immediate perk in scenery once you cross the border: wildflowers and hills! So nice.
Only 3 more hours to go to get to Denver! My ass hurts.

Comments