Sour Cherry Bonanza

It has been a very sour cherry day. In a good way. I met Beth and Rob at the market this morning and we shared a Hoosier Mama Cherry Pie. It was pretty good. Beth used her expertise and asserted that it was a butter crust and the filling was quite nice - not too sweet. I also bought 2 quarts of sour cherries to play with - after pitting them all, I made a cherry pie (from the Pie and Pastry Bible) and candied some cherries. Then I decided to curry candy the kumquats that have been sitting in my fruit drawer.


Finally, I made the devil's food cake recipe from The Art of Perfect Baking and in 2 of the loaves, folded in the candied sour cherries for a black foresty loaf and the curried candied kumquats into 3 of the loaves for an interesting variation. The cake batter tasted a little too sweet for me, but the technique of making the batter is quite cool. The cake tastes pretty good after baking and doesn't taste as sweet - perhaps since the cocoa powder cooks through and dissipates it's flavor?

Comments