Adventures in Home Ownership

So Friday most of the new granite countertop was installed, but someone somewhere somehow messed up and cut the backsplash for the wall behind the sink too short. This is not actually that surprising since it is at an angle between two perpendicular sections and when estimating my square footage, I messed up on that angle and thought I had 19 square feet when, in fact, it is more like 39 square feet. Ooops. Talk about sticker shock.
Managed to talk the company into throwing in a new double bowl sink, an undermount, as part of the deal and that was also installed Friday. Despite the fact that I drew out the old sink along with the correct dimensions, the new sink is quite a bit bigger. Not a huge problem, right? Wrong! I spent the better part of the weekend figuring out how to install the faucet and trying to figure out how to set up a new drain system to fit this new configuration. I wound up getting a new lovely faucet to replace the old one since I had to get a part I couldn't find for the old one to stand up without the eustachian plate (new word!) and it was way too small with too short of a reach for the new deeper and larger sink bowls. All those adverts on PBS before/after the cooking shows must have worked since I got a Kohler. I must say, their intake supply lines set up is really easy to install.
Anyhow, I learned that it takes me no less that 3 trips to Home Depot no matter what project I work on for whatever reason and I have committed the business hours of the local H.D.'s in my area. I love going to the H.D. because every time I go for anything other than buying paint or potting soil (the traditional domain of women there), I am inundated with very helpful personnel. The plumbing department was no difference. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have staff willing to help you and answer questions, but my friend Paul does not get the same treatment when he's shopping in the same departments and we've attributed it to his having a y chromosome. He also probably doesn't do things like camp out on the ground in the middle of the plumbing aisle trying to figure out drainage assemblies. At any rate, I had one very helpful employee hand me lots of things I didn't need along with the one part I did think I needed which I was actually already holding at the time. Unfortunately, I didn't account for having the new drains situated closer to the wall than the old ones and thus I needed to either change the gas trap or figure out a way around it. Consider for a moment, that the two bowls are also of different heights and the drains are just slightly offset from each other. I wound up ingeniously (I think) rotating the gas trap towards one side, but only partially, and then using a variation of angles and pipes, including one accordion-style tube, to eventually finagle out a working drainage system. So far no leaks and I was very liberal with the plumber's putty. Martha Stewart, eat your heart out!
Here are some before/during and after pics:

Comments