Granite and Rhubarb

Well, I finally got the new granite countertop installed! Yay. But no backsplash. More on that later. What better to do the night before the workers show up than to try out that strawberry rhubarb rose jam? Nothing. Never mind that there is no drain in the kitchen sink! And who cares that the hot water to the entire apartment had to be shut off due to a leaky supply line? At any rate, I am happy to report that it worked! I freestyled the recipe a bit at the beginning, but it came together in the end.
Used 1 pint strawberries, 8 stalks of rhubarb and 4 apriums all mixed with a bunch of sugar. Squeezed the juice of 3 regular lemons and 1 Meyer lemon, saving the seeds and also adding in the zest of 1 of the lemons. Probably 3 lemons would be fine. Tried to counteract the acidic with some nutmeg, cinnamon and a couple pinches of pepper, just for kicks, as well as a 1/4 c of honey powder. I macerated everything for 15 minutes and mashed it a little with a pastry blender. Tossed in the lemon seeds wrapped in cheesecloth and brought the mix to a boil, adding a couple tsp of rose water. Boiled for 3-4 minutes, and put out my emergency package of liquid pectin onto the counter as a visual safety net. Tested a small portion cooled in the freezer - yummy, but more like a sauce. Set it on the stove O/N with the lemon seeds still swimming in the red fruit sea. Next day, brought the whole mix to a boil and let it get up to 220 F (well, 215 F was all I had patience for). The rose flavor disappeared so spiked it with a couple tsp of extra rose water afterwards. Next time, will use a thicker pan, preferably nonstick since mine wound up scorching some of it, as well as a splatter screen. I am happy to report that the 1/4 cup I stuck in the freezer to cool firmed up pretty well into a thick spready jam that you can make lumpy peaks with. It's not gelled like jelly, but it's pretty nice..
I call it a spreadable success.


Comments

Robert said…
Glad to see that the countertop turned out well. And the jam. Got some strawberries and rhubarb at the market. The cherries are amazing. Now I need to track down some lemons to try this up.

Honey powder?
Cathy said…
i got cherries at the farmers market too. delicious on my cereal. (just justifying having a cherry pitter). did you see any sour cherries? i am dying to make this sour cherry dish.
you can get honey powder (granules) from the korean store. it's nice to play with, but chars quickly if you try and use it as a brulee topping. as long as you account for disparities in sweetness levels, it's nice to use in recipes where you'd like that honey taste. i am going to go get more if you want some.
Anonymous said…
I was just wondering if it was different (better deal, taste,...) than real honey. I guess it lasts longer??? even though honey doesn't go bad.

Anyhoo...found some cool stuff on the lemon seed/pectin thing. Turns out that lemon rind has a ton of pectin (http://www.uoguelph.ca/~hlee/418chap7.htm) the scientist will love that reference, and I found a recipe using citrus rind (http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/004317seville_orange_marmalade.php). I hope these links work. Being the lazy naturalist that I am, I think I am going to basically try these recipies but without the cheesecloth. Rind and seeds are really easy to pick out of jam anyways.

By the way if you google 'lemon seed pectin' you are result #10.