Eating Well Recipes

Since the countertop is getting removed tonight/tomorrow and the new one is coming in on Friday, I decided last night to make a bunch of food so I'd have easy meals to eat while the kitchen is in complete disarray. Made the Turkey Mini Meatloaves from Eating Well as well as the Potato and Sweet Potato Torte. I discovered that I rarely adhere to any recipe no matter how much I mean to.
The turkey loaves turned into handshaped mini burgers and instead of bell pepper and zucchini, I used frozen roasted corn and lots of spring onions. Half of them, I added green chili powder into (about 2 Tbs); Next time I will use more. And more salt. The torte, too, I wound up slicing a couple cloves of garlic thin and crisping them before adding more spring onions rather than the leeks. I think it will be better with leeks - more interesting texturally. I am trying really hard to use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes due to the discrepancy in nutritional content between to two. I sure do love my potatoes though.
My next endeavor (probably this weekend) is going to be to make curry candied kumquats with ginger and use that as a topping to some dark chocolate cupcakes. And to make something with the remaining rhubarb and strawberries: a jam maybe? I have pectin already, plus I learned that you can use lemon seeds to provide pectin in jam making. Food chemistry is cool.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have the same 'problem' with recipes. I get about half way through them and decide that the person writing the recipe didn't know what they were doing. I am pretty sure that is why I don't bake too much.

So this lemon seed pectin chemistry...tell me more...procedures, quantities? I tried jamming a little last summer without the protien, I guess you would call that syrup. Either way it turned out pretty well. Putting real blueberry syrup/jam on crepes in Feb is a beautiful thing. Now only if I had a root cellar to keep it all.
Cathy said…
so i will find the recipe when i get home, but briefly, apparently the tougher parts of non-woody plants have a lot of pectin and especially lemons are used in jelling jams so you boil the seeds with some extracted liquid for a couple minutes after an o/n incubation to extract the pectin and then leave to cool?? then you mix everything together, boil till just set and jar away. i will look up exact #'s and ratios when i get home.
my old place was above a garage and had a separate darkened hallway on the 1st floor that i used as a pseudo-root cellar. it was great.
on a separate food chemistry note, i learned in CA that you can use the bark of a fig tree to catalyze the curdling of milk into curds and whey instead of rennet. they shouldn't tell things like that to people at a museum with fig trees in the garden outside. now i am thinking about trying to home make goat cheese.