Looptopia & the Leftorium

I made the chocolate honey dome cake from Bon Appetit I mentioned earlier. Here it is in all it's glory. I was pretty happy with it: the overpriced sugar bee decorations seemed like a perfect finishing touch. Unfortunately since this was a domed cake, there were no scraps to taste, but I'll get a full report back Monday. Also made the honey spice cake, adding chocolate swirls from the leftover glaze. Pretty tasty, but a little oily for my taste. Maybe cut back on the oil & sugar and use a soaking syrup? Team seemed to like it.

Our frisbee team played really well yesterday despite some, um, adverse conditions. Decent wind and only 2 gals made it a really exhausting afternoon but we pulled off both our games (the 2cd one we played down a man to boot!) Hopefully this bodes well for the tourney. Here is a not so g.l.a.m.o.r.o.u.s. shot I took of Chad and Toby during warm-up. Happy to report this was not the case for the game. Also props to Rob for the Polish pastries that he shared; I think they helped fuel me limpingly through to the end of the games! On the way back I got caught in a traffic jam on Irving from that big warehouse fire. The smoke was really thick and black and toxic. I saw a bird flying near the cloud. I wonder if birds can develop avian emphysema from the soot? Or birdie asthma?

The first annual Chicago Looptopia was Friday night - met up with Rob, Beth, Joe, Crispin and Jon Fergie and saw the Ponys, Mooka pazzo (??) and did not wait in line to get into the party at Macy's, but sat on some comfy leather couches. It was cold and windy, but the music was good. And then Saturday after the marathon afternoon of frisbee, headed to the Bjork show at the Auditorium. We were 13 rows back from the stage! It was a really good show - Icelendic horn section, DJ cams, pyrotechnics, laser light shows, excellent sight lines (the guy in front of me was not the tallest - score!), free earplugs from the Auditorium office staff...the works. I just wished I had the liner notes for her songs as I had a bit of a tough time figuring out all her lyrics.
All in all, I am pooped.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you liked the pastries. So a Bjork show, that's pretty cool. I have always heard that her live shows are an experience.

Hope you guys have more people show for the tourney. Looks like we will have enough to have 2 good games.