Bon Appetit April 2007

So I went to a Seder at my friends Eric and Ariel's house last month. It was pretty interesting as I'd never actually learned about what happens at a Seder, just the whole story behind Passover. You eat a lot of symbolic foods and do a lot of readings. The parsley dipped in salt water was not so good (actually and symbolically); the horseradish was very very spicy (but maybe it was supposed to be bitter? I forget); the matzoh was matzoh-like. Eric's cousin Jenny made the Haroseth which was quite nice actually and I just remembered and found a recipe for it from Epicurious:
DRIED FRUIT AND ALMOND HAROSETH
Hers had lots and lots of chopped apples, however, and I don't know if it had any orange.

The April 2007 Bon Appetit also has a nice spread of recipes made with honey which I've linked below and a couple others for fun.
Speaking of honey, I feel bad for the bees that are dying: (Vanishing honeybees mystify scientists - CNN.com). Last I heard, scientists thought it might have something to do with cell phone signals which makes me sad whenever I made a phone call. If only we could use cell phone signals for good like dampening/canceling out the buzzing of the cicadas when they reappear!
On to the recipes:

CHOCOLATE-HONEY DOME CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE-HONEY GLAZE *
HONEY-CARAMEL TART WITH APRICOTS AND ALMONDS
UPSIDE-DOWN HONEY CHEESECAKES

MOM'S BLENDER CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WITH LEMON CREAM

ROASTED BALSAMIC SWEET POTATOES

Comments

Anonymous said…
Latest theory I have read about was a fungus. I think the cell phone and most of the other theories have fallen out of favor. It is sad though, honey is good and good for you. I think it has cured my asthma.
Cathy said…
honey is really good for you: i have heard from several immunology type people that eating local honey also reduces hayfever type allergies in spring and fall as well AND it is supposed to be a good alternative to treat acne (just dab it on and slap a bandaid on overnight). it's hard to find honey from chicago though.
Anonymous said…
We get stuff from WI. At the Green City Market there is a booth that sells Chicago honey, I bought it once. It was too sweet for me.