Week 41: Turn that frown upside down!

Well, with the disastrous end to week 40, you had to know that redemption was on my mind for this week. By golly was I going to make that cake again and this time I surely would follow the directions! Well, to a point. This is me we are talking about, after all.

Much better this time.
Launched right into that almond and coconut cake again. This time, I went for the miniature loaf pans, well greased and parchment papered. Instead of the chocolate glaze that the recipe called for, I topped with some leftover caramel that I had in the fridge. Because what goes better with sticky than sticky?! This time, things turned out just fine and dandy.

I also had a work trip coming up and thought it would be nice to bring along something homemade to supplement all of the terrible eating out that I would surely be doing. I decided to make a batch of the matcha and almond muffins with black sesame streusel from Bake From Scratch. The recipe makes for a somewhat savory muffin what with the green tea powder as well as the sesame oil (!!) in the streusel topping. I thought that there was far too much streusel mixed up and didn't use it all, but then it seems that the topping melted a fair amount in the oven. So I should have piled it all on there for a better topping to muffin ratio. I brought some to the fields and then packed a handful for my conference for much appreciated lunchtime snacks.
Mucho matcha muffins

Not much else made due to the time crunch. Time for some gene learning.

Comments