Week 17: Rainbows and roses

Bleeding heart blossoms
Week 17 brought the luxury of a day off. It was a much appreciated day off given that I had spent the weekend seeing the Magnetic Fields concerts on Saturday and Sunday nights. There was also quite a bit of gardening to do. By that, I mean digging out unwanted plants and weeding of the established beds. I did take some time to enjoy the bleeding hearts that were prolifically blooming, as well.

Tahini and rose treats
However, I also had my eye on more tahini flavored treats. This time, it was the tahini and rose sandwich cookies from the Golden cookbook. Ever since I got that cookbook, this was one of the recipes that I kept going back to as one of the must-try recipes. They did not disappoint.  The cookies themselves were a lovely short texture and the rose and white chocolate filling, while a bit sweet, worked quite well with the cookies themselves. Next time, I'd make them just a bit smaller/thinner.

Rainbow cake!
I also had a request for birthday cake to make this week! Specifically, one of my friends asked if I would have a baking date with her two daughters and create something for her nephew's upcoming 3rd birthday. Initially, we were thinking ice cream sandwiches, however further research led us to settle on a rainbow cake. Good thing I'd been itching to find a good occasion to put one together and this seemed like the perfect fit. Having never really made a multi-colored cake before, it certainly made sense that I would opt to do so at someone else's house with two pint-sized sous chefs assisting, right? Right.

When I arrived with my bag full of cake gear in tow, my two sous chefs were dressed to the nines in their aprons and chef hats. Too cute. They girls were actually very helpful and we were able to divvy up the tasks rather well. There may or may not have been a piping-bag-full-of-batter incident at one point, but we recovered with little repercussions. The end result was really rather lovely and the girls even had some unicorns for the perfect finishing touch. The orange flavor to the cake was the perfect springtime note. We didn't have time to bake up some colored cake crumbs for decorating the outside, but I am keen to give that a go sometime.
Make way for unicorns!


Comments