Week 16: Bake sale goodies

Week 16 was a bit more fun because this was baking with a purpose. Specifically, there was a bake sale at J's workplace, with the proceeds being donated to Adopt A Classroom. It seemed like a worthwhile way to support the community while plugging along with the baking! So we both signed up to contribute some baked goods for the sale. I chose two different recipes - one a little more adventurous and the other a bit more traditional.

For the more traditional, I went with some lemon cornmeal ricotta muffins from the Huckleberry cookbook. It lived up to what you'd expect - moist, fluffy, with a nice bite to the crumb, and a great tartness. It would be hard to eat just one. Not one of those dense muffins that weighs you down for the rest of the day. Put them into packs of three for the bake sale and away we went.

Lime tarragon cookies
For the more adventurous option, I chose to make some lime tarragon cookies per the brilliant bakers at Baked. We had some tarragon leftover (probably from making the Ottolenghi mushroom ragout), and the flavor combination was intriguing to me. Well, the end results certainly did not disappoint. I really loved the sheen on the white chocolate topping. Could have flattened the cookies a bit more before baking as they didn't spread out too much. Next time, I might play around with the finishing and test out other ways to garnish, just for fun. At any rate, I was so excited about these tasty morsels and, of course, I had to post some pics on Instagram. Not long thereafter, I received a message from a friend that needed a dessert for an event that she was heading to. So I managed to sell two dozen of the cookies even before the bake sale occurred and sent the cash along with the rest of the cookies. Success!

Comments