Holy Whole Foods, Batman!

So I made the error of stopping at Whole Foods on my way home from the gym the other night in search of vegetable chips. Alas, those did not seem to exist, but as the store was in the midst of closing up, I was able to meander for goodies without the mad crush of weekend shoppers and was able to replenish the honey container.
One find was the habanero green chili pork sausage that was at the deli. And when I say habanero, I mean it! After poked the sausage to make sure it was grilled to perfection, the juices from the outside were plenty fiery. Definitely did not disappoint.
Then, of course, I wound up wandering to the cheese section. (This might be a good time to mention that I was already hungry before I got to the gym so now I was grocery shopping while hungry, thirty and electrolyte-depleted. Whoops.) Happily the cheese mongers had already left for the day - sometimes I find them to be just a smidge condescending and/or pushy when all I want to do is browse. Well, there was a little basket of what I like to call "trial cheeses" that I love to rustle through to see what little gems I can bring home to try. Well, this time I hit the jackpot. There was a "Legendary Goat Gouda" and with a name like that, how can you resist? It is delicious - a somewhat hard, off-white cheese in a green rind. It is nutty and smells almost like a manchego. Very good snacking cheese. The second one I grabbed was the "Long Clawson White Stilton with Lemon" because, well, I am a sucker for anything citrus. It is more of a dessert cheese, semi-soft and slightly stinky, but much milder and sweet with chunks of candied lemon. Definitely not a savory selection, but a nice way to end a meal and satisfy the sweet taste bud. And since I was refilling the honey jar, I had to grab a wedge of very ripe brie (yes! the runnier the better...) to have with the honey.
One thing that I tried at my friend's house that I will share with is this delicious little appetizer/snack. Get some triscuits, brie and honey. Melt a little chunk of brie onto the triscuit in the toaster oven and serve with a dollop of honey. Also top with a walnut or almond if you are so inclined.

Comments

Robert said…
Cheese and honey is such a great combo. We just left a hotel that had a breakfast including a selection of honey and decent brie. Made for a nice stop on the way to the pastry table.