Kona and the Brown Palace

So I have completed graduate school and just have a couple loose ends to wrap up.
Yay!
Last week, my friend left for a European adventure and left her adorable Bichon frisee, Kona, with us for some dogsitting. He is very cute and a little whiney, but the cuddles make up for it. Unfortunately, the stinker has pooped in the house twice. The first time I forgave him because he was clearly unused to being here; the second time I was much sterner and I am afeared that our relationship has become somewhat strained. The fact that Kona and my laptop do not both fit in my lap appears to be somewhat disconcerting to the little guy.
So in the last week, I have had a plethora of food and drink and a decent amount of sleep. Life is much better post-grad school!
Highlights include popping open my bottle of Krug after my Oral exam with Jess and Beau. Yummers is the only word for it.
On Sunday, I went to Sunday Champagne Brunch at the Brown Palace with classmates and family and it was phenomenal. In short - prime rib, blintzes, oysters, key lime pie and dark chocolate pots de creme were some of my highlights. If you wish to escape brevity, an epic discussion of this meal can be found on the Twin City Breakfast Club blog. Not sure when it will be posted, but it was truly the best breakfast experience I've had and likely in the top 5 meals I've ever had. Awww yeah.
Today, I went over to T and L's for some grilled pizzas and strawberry-rhubarb pie. Oh and I had to give little Mara a sushi play set:She calls the handroll an ice cream cone, the tuna is tomato and the salmon is watermelon. I am confident that when we all go out for sushi, Mara will be the cutest little white toddler in the place. That's multiculturalism, folks! (Is it wrong that I am secretly hoping Mara will become the anti-twinkie? What would that be, anyhow?)
At any rate, you can't go wrong with prosciotto and arugula or carmelized onion and balsamic on pizzas. Mmmm.
That is not to say that I have been going all out for meals, either. I have been balancing out the fancy with things like tater tots and the like.
I also used the time last week to make some homemade garlic and lemon hummus. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to whip up a batch in the food processor! We decided today that the grilled pizza dough brushed with garlic infused olive oil may be the perfect base for some homemade hummus.
That's just a whirlwind highlight of the past couple weeks. There has been much wine and cheese as well. At some point, smoked homemade sausages will be made so stay tuned. Life is much happier when one has time to cook.

Comments

Robert said…
Quite the tour since school is over. Are you looking for like an iced lemon cake maybe? Kind of long description.

Last week I couldn't stop eating pizza - I wasn't picky I would even eat bad pizza because I knew it was the last I was getting for a while. I kept thinking that I should diversify...and then order the pizza. Oh well...onto the noodles!