Oatmeal Cookie Blizzard Hermits

Today turned into a serious snow day. When I left the house at 6:00 am there was a slight dusting and just enough moisture on the roads for car tires to make that wet pavement sound. When I left school at 11:00 there was a couple inches accumulated and the powder continues. Since I am stuck hardcore studying for the next few days (panic is creeping in), I thought it would be a nice break to make a quick batch of something. Since all this studying and weather is precluding me from getting good workouts in, I decided to try for something somewhat healthier. Oatmeal cookies it is!
I have 2 light recipes for oatmeal raisin cookies - one with applesauce (from Nick Malgieri's "Perfect Light Desserts") and one without (from Cook's Illustrated "Best Light Recipes"). Since all I have onhand is granny smith applesauce and I also did not want to break out the stand mixer, I went the Cook's Illustrated route. They almost always come through anyways. And then went ahead and threw in some chocolate chips. Nutrition content appropriately sabotaged...check. These cookies were just ok, though. Baked up looking pretty good in the oven, but flattening out rather disappointingly as they cooled. (I was a little concerned with the softness of the dough). A little sweet for my taste. So neither thick and chewy nor thin and crunchy. I am not so sure about this recipe, but it will get one more day in court (likely in the distant future as I have 4 bananas browning nicely for a jumbo batch of Banana Oatmeal Power Cookies...after Comps, that is).
Also, I learned today too that a jar of blackstrap molasses will evaporate even with the lid on, thus foiling one's original plans of making hermits.

Comments