Turkeys to Reindeer

It has been a busy snowy finals and presentations-filled last couple weeks. But break starts today! Well, as long as I remember to email my last paper to my prof. And in 12 hours I will be in Las Vegas. Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like neon lights up and down the strip. I'm hoping to get to Red Rocks Canyon and hike or bike the loop.
So Susan and I decorated the house a couple weeks ago to fill it up with some holiday cheer. I have to say, her fake Christmas tree is very convincing. I got a Yankee Candle (Balsam and Cedar) to help infuse the house with the olfactory illusion of a real Christmas tree. I guess out here you can apply for permits and literally go up on the mountains and chop your own tree. We also decided it would be funny to stick a couple roses into her snowman soap/lotion dispenser. It looks surprisingly good, right?! I am glad we waited until after Thanksgiving to put up lights and listen to Christmas music.

Also, last weekend was the beginning of so much continuous snow. I think we've had over a foot, but with a couple sunny days in between, there's not that much on the ground. It was helpful, I suppose, to be snowed in Friday-Sunday the weekend before finals week, but I was going stir crazy! Went for a snow-run once the sun came out and the legs were a little unhappy. In a good way.
Because it was a stress-filled finals week, I tried took a bit of a break Wednesday night to do some procrastinative and therapeutic baking. Tried my hand at the 3D Christmas cookie cutters that Eric and Ariel gave me as a gift last year and learned my lessons from last year, so I pulled out the handy dandy ruler. Neatness and uniform thickness counts here big time! The gingerbread recipe from the box is actually quite good - not too sweet and lots of complex spice notes. It feels like a very adult cookie. It looks like a very kid-friendly cookie though. What a great holiday project. Unfortunately, one of the reindeer fell off the table yesterday - we decided that he was a jumper, not a flier. Next year, I'll make an extra effort to get more icing colors which will make them look even cooler. And I'll be making my assortment of Christmas cookies when I get back right after Christmas. It'll be a post-holiday treat!
On a completely unrelated note, I cannot wait for winter league to start for frisbee. I miss ultimate!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm a little jealous. We are spending the holidays with Beth's family. Only a couple of them appreciate food not from a package, and they don't eat much (it is the grandparents). So looks like it is going to be pre-injected pork loin and starch white mashed potatoes. I might convince Beth that we can make a couple of interesting sides. The port-grand marnier-cranberry will be a must, after that it might get a little dicey.

On an unrealated note - watching the Bears-Vikes debacle something good did come out of it. I met a chef at MOTO. Great guy. He told me to stop by - finally a good reason to get Beth to go there. She hasn't really been interested, and I have always wanted to but never had a compelling argument besides "it might be cool".