Food TV

This post is directed mostly towards Rob and other foodie types.
I watched Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie yesterday on PBS in the middle of the Bears-Broncos mess and they went to The Fat Duck in England to document what Heston Blumenthal is doing out there. The episode is called "The Science of Deliciousness." Now I'm still out on the idea of molecular gastronomy and the stuff going on at Moto and Alinea back in Chicago - it still seems like you are paying someone a lot so they can have fun with gadgets in a kitchen/lab - but the scientist in me has to respect it a little. And Blumenthal throws in the idea of nostalgia and taste memory as an interesting aspect. At any rate, one of the dishes they make is Nitro-Scrambled Egg and Bacon Ice Cream served with some French toast type thing and some tomato jam type thing. So now we've got beer ice cream and bacon ice cream to work on.
I guess I don't mind molecular gastronomy as long as you get satisfied, or rather sated with your meal. Eating should be for taste and all these other experiences, but also to satisfy hunger and acquire needed nutrients on the most basic level. Take that out of it and it's really just performance art.

Back to the Bears - lucky to win. Just like the Seahawks. And some may argue the Pats.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am more interested in doing it in my own kitchen than really having someone else do it in their kitchen.

I loved making nitro ice cream. Don't know if I would pay someone a premium (above the fact that it makes a better ice cream) for them to do it. Though I guess that be a different argument since I think it actually makes a better product as well as is 'sciencsy'.

Either way fun to watch and discuss.