Come on Rockies!

Ok. I love the Red Sox, but tonight I root root root for the Rockies. In the name of baseball: let's make it an interesting series! Last night was a good game, though, just need a bit more hitting from the Rocks. It looks a bit better tonight so we will see. I am so sad that I had to turn down all those World Series tickets I was offered. Ugh. Random observations from OD-ing on baseball:
-Manny = single-speed bike (a BMX according to Beau)
-Is it really better to leave in Ortiz rather than Youklis?
-Youklis is an incredible sweaty man
-The Red Sox are not the most attractive team; the Rockies are pretty easy on the eyes
-Why is it that you can put Fenway inside of Coors and that's cool?
-Why aren't the Rocks hitting everything into the vast wasteland that is a
Manny-covered left field?
-Best nickname of the series (thanks to Britta): "That spidery-haired Motherf***er." Guess who that refers to? (Hint: the only player who flicks his helmet off to simulate incredible base running speed)
-I would have whiplash if I were Okajima
-Tulo Whiskey shots is a play on Tulowitzki shots (it only took me 2 days to figure that out)
-Pop quiz: the Mendoza line refers to what and whom?

So today, it finally happened. One of those totally awful random injuries sustained during a frisbee game. Basically, one of my cleats got caught in the laces of an opposing player running by causing my legs to fly out from under me which then caused a hard landing, impact completely on my lower back. The lower lumbar region for those medically inclined. Of course, we were savage so I played for another hour or so (and scored a couple times!). Needless to say, I chose not to ride home. And now here I am laying on my back on a bag of ice. Prognosis seems poor; 3 ibuprofen didn't do much to dull the pain. Is it better to ice or heat a muscle injury? And this was after we lost one of our men in the 1st game to a knee injury that involved a couple of loud pops and what looked to be way too much pain. Any suggestions for treatment is appreciated. And don't forget about those car names. I've a couple in mind and Janine brought up Cameron a la Ferris Bueller.
Really the main point of this post is to whine about my back. Sorry guys. At least we won both games today despite the savagery and it was beautiful out - 70's and sunny.
Interesting to note that the longer I have ice on my back, the more intense of a headache I have....

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a hell of a long way for an ice cream headache. Sorry to hear about the injury. That is kind of freak. The last time someone talked to me about something like this besides old-fashioned RICE was that you want to ice immediately after to prevent swelling, but later heat to increase blood flow and healing. Hope it heals quickly.

Yeah I am wondering what happened to the magical Rockies. The last two games they look like they are ready to show up but the clutch is not there. Unlike the 20+ games previous to the Series. It hurts a little to watch them...though not as much as the Bears.

Sorry to divert from the original point but I am on a mission. When you have 3 qbs on your bench - 1)good arm, bad decisions, bipolar play 2)decent arm, kind of inconsistent, kind of an under achiever and 3)winning pro record, weak arm, good decisions, most heard complaint is that he is boring - do you neglect the only one with a consistent winning record?

Looks like the Rockies are booting another one. And they just announced A-rod is leaving the Yanks. That is sad because now they will spend so much press time talking about him and where he is going...arrrgh. Please not Chicago.
Cathy said…
That is a fine point you make. Always go with your boring winning man - where has he gone wrong? I never really understood that either. But remember that I was starting a write-in campaign to try and get Plummer to Chicago after he was dropped from the Broncos.
I just heard the A-Rod news. Please not Boston either. I'd have to find a new team then. Is there a baseball equivalent of the
Oakland Raiders? That's where I'd like for him to go.
Oh ho...it looks like the Rockies may have a spark of life....
Unknown said…
i think you alternate heat and ice. but definitely ice no longer than 15 min at a time so you don't do some nerve damage or kill skin cells or something...

the lower back injuries suck. if its on one side, especially be careful because once i pulled a muscle on one side and then the other side was overcompensating or whatever and then i got muscle spasms and that was a nightmare. but i did get some muscle relaxants...