Southern-esque Dinner

Let me get this out of the way: "Seriously, Red Sox? It's bad enough that the Yankees keep winning, but you're going to play like that? Seriously?!?"
Ok.
Sunday morning was a beautiful day of ultimate in the park - perfect weather and games from 9-12. My team wound up playing 5-2 savage women and it was really fun! I found some nice flow with the teammates (always nice) leading to a good amount of assists/scores, a few layouts and even some catches up in mid-air! (Really! Like 5" off the ground!) We won the 1st game and then mounted a steady comeback in the 2cd despite being down 2-8 at the half, final score 13-9(?) after losing our other gal (ankle injury) partway through the second half. I then subbed for a pm game after that, but my feet were tired of being in cleats and stormclouds rolled in so I only played a few points. Plus that morning, I'd already gotten stung by something, run over by some rambunctious dogs and drank some post-game beer before getting recruited.
(As a side note, my Sunday team is "Pretty in Pink" and Tuesday team color is orange...what's wrong with blue or green, huh??)
Anyways, I decided to make a nice dinner as a reward for all that fun in the sun. I was excited to taste the Peach Crumb Cake made on Saturday (not quite brave enough to tackle pie crusts at altitude yet, Liz, but there are plenty of peaches in the fridge), so went Southern, Cathy-style, with some Oven-Fried Chicken and some pan-fried okra. (Thanks a lot, Food Network.)
The crumb cake recipe is quite nice if you are a big fan of streusel topping and it looks really nice sliced, especially with some of the rosiness of the peach skins adding steaks of color. I adjusted again with an extra egg, a little less flour and a little less leavener (I figured out how to spell it, maybe...) for the cake portion and it turned out great. I think the juice from the peaches helps to keep it moist, too. I may cut the topping by 1/4 or so next time or just increase the peaches. It's a pretty nice breakfast/brunch option. The chicken was made in convection oven mode which made it faster and very moist. Though that soak in the buttermilk already prevents the chicken from drying out too much in a regular oven. The crust may be a little crisper though which is nice since you de-skin the legs.

Oh yeah, yesterday I made some buttermilk cornbread to go with the leftover chicken and okra. Yum. I miss Dixie Kitchen.

(1.5 games. It was 14.5. Sigh.)

Comments

Liz said…
you are just killing me. cornbread is on my list of things i want to eat! (specifically, cornbread with honey http://desertliz.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-give-up.html)

although i did have some interesting corn and chicken fritters the other day at lunch, it was not the same. i will miss the interesting dessert they have here that is basically corn in coconut milk. it is surprisingly tasty!
Cathy said…
Hee hee. I saw that post and that's what made me think of it. And then I remembered you warming the cornbread and having it with some honey back in the day at Woodward. Mmm. Good times!
I bet that corn in coconut milk would be yummy. I wonder if you could make coconut creamed corn??