Wine and Cheese Serendipity

So after working out at the gym Tuesday, I decided to walk home. And then I decided it was way too hot out and I was slightly snacky, what with it being noon and all. So I detoured up to Costco, mostly to see if there were any samples to partake of (just frozen Tropicana smoothie bars), but telling myself that I needed to pick up another bag of the Bear Naked trail mix. I perused the cheese section, just for fun and found a couple interesting cheeses to try. Skipped the French triple creme since it was pasteurized, but found a Basque Ardi Gasna - semi-hard cheese of pure sheep's milk and covered with a layer of Espelette pepper (it is very pungent), as well as an Italian Trugole - semi-hard artisanal cow cheese made in the Asiago region of the Italian Alps (smooth and fruity, like a mix of swiss and asiago). They are very different and very tasty.
And then, as if the foodie spirits were watching me, the newest shipment of wine from Cosentino showed up! Yay! This box of wines was a nice surprise, unlike the wine in a box from Target (not so good). Anyhow, there was a 2005 Legend Chardonnay which is a partnership between Cosentino and Larry Bird. It makes me happy to think about the days when the Boston Celtics were respected and the days when he would dribble the ball up and down the parquet at the Boston Garden (pronounced "gah-den") to find the weird bounces. Also got the 2005 Temp (tempranillo) which I'm interesting in tasting since the one I've had before was pretty tannic. Apparently it is usually blended with grenache etc and rarely bottled alone; the tasting sheet suggests pairing with lamb, beef or venison so it should be pretty hefty. Finally, there was a second bottle of the 2005 Franc which I picked up after really enjoying it at the winery tasting so I'm pretty happy. I'm thinking it'll be a nice glass to have with the cheese finds at Costco. Mmmm.
Cheese course anyone?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cheese!! I bought a nice shirt at Pitchfork that has a happy little creature on the front and says Cheese.